About Me

My photo
I'm Donna, I'm 31 years old. I'm determined more than any other round to push myself to all limits.I have lost 35.8kg on the program & have lost 15.4kg on my own.I have met some pretty amazing inspiring 12wbt friends, who I will call them my friends for life!!! I keep coming back for more. The 12wbt program helps me to keep learning about myself each day. My family love the new me, who now enjoys exercising & eating healthy.

Saturday 12 July 2014

Gold Coast Half Marathon Weekend

The weekend of my 1st half marathon 

I don't know where to start!!! My weekend on the Gold Coast was jam packed. it started Thursday I flew out to Brisbane & the lovely Kate Beck was there to pick me up. We drove to Courtneys had a quick car change & then we were off to the Gold Coast to pick up our race bibs. I was quietly freaking out because I was  about to pick up my very 1st Half Marathon race pack. I had so many emotions running around in my head. 



- Can I do this
- what if I get disqualified
- what if people laugh at me

I had so many more but these were my main 3. I didn't mind so much if I came last but just didn't want to be disqualified. 

Friday came & I caught the train into Brisbane & had a relaxing day looking around doing the touristy stuff. Caught the train back to near where Kate works & we went to get Thai across from Kate's house ( yum ) Best Pad Thai ever. 

After dinner we went food shopping for Saturday. Kate had been to Marathon school & had a list of what foods we needed to eat a day before the big race. Carbs Carbs & more Carbs. Dietitian approved so it was okay lol. 

Early Saturday morning we set of to the Gold Coast to support our amazing friends who were running in the 5.7 & 10k run. We headed to Southport to watch the race. 
Kate & I had prepared our Breakfast which consisted of muesli, yoghurt, strawberries  & Bananas. The serve was massive. I have never seen my bowel so full but if a dietitian recommends it, it must be fine lol. 


I originally had signed up for the 10k but had my heart set on doing the half. Watching the race my anxiety levels secretly rose. I haven't been able to train since May because I sprained my ankle & hurt my knee & to top it off I had unexpected surgery.  This really threw  me. Our friends finished the race & I was so proud off them all. Watching how supportive everyone was brought a tear to my eye. I haven't seen this in a very long time. It is something I'm not used to & I loved it. 

Morning tea Dietitian style we were able to have a muffin. What one should we choose? I felt like I was in heaven yum. Mine had a blob of cream which I left to the side. 

Lunch we headed back to the hotel & had bread rolls with chicken. Again the serving was crazy big but yum. Afternoon tea came around & we had banana bread. For dinner we had 2 friends Catherine & Alison over. We needed to eat pasta so went around the block to a little restaurant. Mmm I chose Spaghetti bolognese. So full from this race menu it was desert time.  Ice Cream & fruit salad was on the menu. How could I say no to Ice Cream hehe.
Kate & I were off to bed early because we had to have breakfast & crazy 3.00am . Who has breakfast this early? We do!!! Crumpets with Honey yes please. I think by this time my body was saying no more food. We went back to bed for about half an hour & this was it 
RACE DAY!!! By then I had butterflies I felt so sick. 



What have I done? What have I got myself into? My mindset wasn't in a good place right now. I knew I needed to focus & just try & relax. We were at the start line & I realised this was my 1st road race. I normally run on the River Torrens in Adelaide. I knew this race was huge but I have never been part of such a huge race. My nerves calmed down & we were off. 

I got about 500 meters or so & I could feel my anxiety levels going through the roof. I ear phone had fallen out of one ear & I knew if I had of stopped running this would be the end for me. As I was putting it back into my ear I heard someone call me a stupid stupid girl for having ear phones in. I turned around & it was a volunteer saying this. I was deeply in shock & burst into tears. I kept going but the tears were flowing uncontrollably. I was looking for the nearest exit but the barricades were up. The word Stupid really hit home for a number of reasons. 1 was back in year 6 a teacher called me stupid for not knowing my Maths & the whole class laughed. The 2nd was I already felt like I was stupid for entering the race without training. A complete stranger saw that I was very emotional & she got me to run with her. This got me back into a positive mindset & I kept going. I knew I was coming last at this stage but I knew I needed to keep going. Mish kept popping into my head & I kept JFDI ing. 

At about the 10km mark, I could see the lovely Kate (cocogirl) running on the other side of the road & she yelled out keep going, don't give up, you have got this & Im so proud of you!!!  I'm not used to people saying this to me & it meant so much to me. I still here her words now. Thank you Kate from the bottom of my heart. 


I had gotten to the 10k mark & I couldn't feel my legs anymore. I really didn't like this feeling & was getting worried. My legs were cramping up but those beautiful words from Kate kept me going. By the 12k mark a race official on her motorcycle yelled out that I only had 10 minutes to get to Runaway Bay. I knew at this point that this was going to be impossible but I didn't want to give up. I wanted that medal so much. By the time I got to the 13.5 mark, I saw a van at the back of me going really slow. The lady on the motorcycle came past & said well done but I had reached the cut off time. So they put me in the back of the officials van where other race goers were. 

By this stage I was devastated & so embarrassed.  I thought I had let everyone who was waiting for me down. They had been my biggest support & I couldn't finish. 
I did know deep down that they still would be proud of me but at this stage I was so disappointed in myself. I wanted to feel that sense of achievement & I wanted to be proud of what I had achieved but I wasn't. Silly me really wanted to let Mish know that I had completed my 1st half. 

I got back to all my 12wbt friends & they were so supportive caring & gave me a massive hug. I broke down for a couple of reason. One was because back home in Adelaide I don't have this much support & I was deeply touched. 

I could see my friend Kate in a lot of pain & she wasn't feeling well but she still got up & said she would be back soon. Kate came back with a medal & t shirt for me. This really got me teary because No one has ever done something this nice for me. Thank you beautiful Kate from the bottom of my heart. 

A couple of hours later once I started to relax I looked back on the day & could finally start to feel proud of myself. I looked at my time for the 10k mark & I had smashed it by 17 minutes. So if I had of stuck to the 10k I would have smashed my time. 

After my race we headed down to watch the Marathon runners finish. We had a few 12wbt friends running & we wanted to show our support. I want to congratulate them all & in particular Greg Leitch for completing your 1st marathon. So inspirational to watch.

I will be back to tackle the GCAM next year. With a lot of training & entering fun runs before the big one I know I can do this. I have learnt not to listen to a couple of people's negative comments & focus on doing what you want to do.

I want to say a massive thank you to Kate (CocoGirl) for having me at your house & for letting me stay at the hotel with you. The lead up to the race was so much fun. So many laughs & so many good memories xoxo

Also to the other amazing friends who were there over the weekend. You are all amazing people & Im so proud of you all 

So looking back I can happily say that I didn't give up. The time got the better of me. I will be back stronger next year





1 comment:

Coco Girl said...

Dearest lovely Donna, I'm so sorry I haven't read this post properly until today. I know that is so long and I'm so sorry. I seem to spend so much time writing my own blog that I don't manage to read everyone else's! :) I just wanted to say I loved reading this so much. It's an awesome account of your weekend and I could feel how you were feeling. I'm so sorry that you were so upset during the race. I'm so proud of you and really hope you feel proud of yourself. Someone who goes through what you did and walks away with their head held high and learns from it and does their best, impresses me so much more than the people who come 1st, 10th, or 100th. You did so well. It was an honour to spend the weekend sigh you and thank you for all of your support and care. Lots of love xox

Pages